Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Tribute to Harry


This morning we had to say good-bye to my little Harry-bear. So, this entry will be a happy tribute to our wonderful little kitty that I will miss terribly.

It all started when Andy and I fell in love with this little kitten at a farm by Mom and Dad’s house. She stood out because she would come right up to us and snuggle and purr and meowed and didn’t want to be put down. She was the sweetest thing. Of course, when we got her, we thought she was a boy, so we named her Harold, Harry for short (all of our animals have old men’s names). It didn’t take long to realize that Harry was going to be Harriet!

She was so snuggly, it was so sweet. Then she started to get this upper respiratory infection – that was really rough. She passed it on to Frank, our other cat. We went to one vet for several months to no avail. We then got a second opinion at a different vet, and they tested her for Feline Leukemia. She tested positive. They told us that Fe-Leuk cats typically live 3-5 years – would we want to put her down?

Heck no! She’s our baby!!! We made it through – we gave her shots at home, antibiotics, and all sorts of pills, but she got better. Frank had to go to my parents for a few months so that he could get the Fe-Leuk vaccine, and to get better from the respiratory infection (thanks again Mom & Dad! That was quite the sacrifice!).

While Frank was at Mom and Dad’s, Harry and George really were cute. Harry wanted to be wherever George was – and as you can see by these pics, I caught them snuggling up together! When we had first got Harry, Frank was so big compared to her that she looked tiny – and he would just plow her over wrestling! But she held her own – she learned how to make Frank back-off. Hehe.

Harry was the kitty that learned how to turn the water faucets on. I came home from work one today to find the bathroom faucet full-blast. Oh the thought of wasted water made me sick! So, Harry taught us how to regularly turn the hot and cold water valves off until we needed to wash our hands. That was always fun to explain to guests – “oh, to turn the water on, you need to turn the valve under the sink on, and then shut it off when you’re done!”

Frankie was the one that still to this day loves to shred toilet paper. So, we’ve never had a normal bathroom with these two. We eventually switched out our new faucets with newer faucets that Harry couldn’t turn on.

With all of the shots and pills that we had to force down on Harry, she became a little less snuggly – and I can’t blame her. I would be as well. Once she got better, she’d let us hold her, but it would only be for a few minutes at a time – and it had to be on her terms! She was a little princess. J

But, when she did let me hold her, oh boy was I in for a treat – I got what I called a “Harry hug!” Harry hugs are where she would wrap a paw around either side of my neck and give me a hug! She’d rub her head along my cheek and just purr! Oh I miss that.

In the winter when it was cold in the house, Harry, Frank and George would all move to sprawl out in front of the fire place and soak up the heat. Then when we would go to bed, Harry would lay on/across/along my face and neck. It would only be in the winter when it was cold that she’d do that. Otherwise she had this routine at bedtime – she would jump on the bed, walk over Andy or me, and poke her head under the blankets between us. I would pull up the blankets, she would curl up under there, and a minute later she wanted out. Then she’d usually end up lying between my legs where I couldn’t move at night!

Harry loved to lay in the sun – especially when she wasn’t feeling well. She was known for her funny positions while sleeping.

She was also very curious. Frank is the one that is always scared or spooked by things – Harry would be the one walking right up to it and investigating. She would climb ladders all the way to the top, and would climb into cabinets if you left the door open a minute too long. She wasn’t afraid of people – she didn’t let guests hold her long either!

After all of the pills, Harry was suspicious of eating anything other than her Iams cat food. She didn’t give much attention to cat treats, unlike Frank. She’d chase after them like Frank, and would maybe eat one or two, but was more in it for the chase than the actual treat. When she was sick as a kitten, the upstairs bathroom (where the kitty food was) was “our spot.” She would let me hold her a long time and I’d pet her to get her to eat. So, whenever we’d be in the upstairs bathroom, Harry would think it was snuggle time. Like in the morning when I would be rushing to get to work in time, Harry would put her front paws up on my leg and look up and meow to be picked up. Those were so rare that I of course had to hold her for a bit! Aww, she was so sweet.

Harry was the sweetest cat. She was only 4 and ½ years old, but I think she had a happy life. She made my life fuller, and I’ll miss her – especially now that I won’t have her sleeping on my neck. I had started to get used to that again.

Well Harry, it’s been fun. I now know that we did everything we could for you. I am glad you are in a better place now. I will miss you, and love you tons.

3 comments:

  1. Katie, thank you for a sweet tribute to a good friend. Your stories reminded me of good times with my own childhood kitties - until we meet them again, they'll be in good company. I've added Harry to my TNT Honor Roll and hope that just as soon as we find a cure for Leukemia in people, we'll be able to share it with our smaller friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to a beloved family member. My condolences for your loss. Art

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post, Katie! I'm soo sorry that she's no longer with you, but she is in such a great place right now. The photos were adorable. I've caught my cat snuggling up with our dogs before -- it's amazing how creatures find friends within each other, just like humans.

    ReplyDelete